Oct 7, 2013

He/She reading in English; Transgender topic.


Transgender 


Today in English we discussed if, as future parents, we'd accept our children if they came to us and had said they wanted to be a girl or a boy. The discussion of course got pretty heated seeing as this is a controversial discussion.  I, for the most part, held back my tongue and just let people talk. To be honest, I have never been more pissed off in my life after hearing some things I've heard.

I understand people have their own opinions, and it's okay that I don't always agree with them, but some comments are just flat out incredibly inconsiderate to your future child if they wanted to be transgender.  To me, I believe you should love, accept and support your child. If your son wants to be a girl, let him be who he believes he is. If you're not sure and think it is a phase, let it run it's course, there is nothing wrong with letting your child go through what they have to, in-order to find themselves. In 99% of cases, early signs of being transgender is almost always certain, and not a phase. Children as early as 2 or 3 start to decide if they like dolls better, or cars, if they want to wear a dress for halloween or be GI joe. It starts at an early age and that's what most parents have a problem with.

Because their children are so young, they think they have no idea what being transgender means, or they think it's a phase. Children know themselves better than you know them. If my son or daughter came to me, in full trust that I wouldn't hurt them physically or emotionally, and confined in telling me they believe they are of the opposite gender, I would be okay with that. I would support and love them through it all. As for explaining it to other parents, my view is you don't owe anyone an explanation. There are some parents who are generally curious as to why your child is this way, and how you cope with it. To me though there is no explanation as to why my child wants to be the opposite sex, they just are, and that is okay. As to how I "cope" with it, my feeling is that I shouldn't have to cope, I should love and accept as a parent and protector of my child no matter if they are transgender, transexual, gay, or bisexual.

People always ask me why I feel so strongly about LGBT rights or acceptance. Some people that know me, say it's because I lack "religious beliefs." This is false. I was raised and baptized catholic. Have been to catholic mass my whole life, I've done my first communion and then confirmation by the catholic church. I participate in relent every year, and I also hold beliefs that are personal to me. I believe religion is something that should be private and personal. But because I am catholic, I won't let that dictate every aspect of my life. Although some catholics "shun" me for accepting LGBT people, I personally don't care. I won't let a book ruin my judgement on acceptance.

I've first hand seen, within my family and even friends, what rejection can do. I think it's wrong for parents to turn away from their children, due to the simple fact that they are either gay, lesbian or transgender. Your child has trusted in you that you won't judge them,  that you'll help them, love them, and support them during this time when probably no one else will. And you as a parent have failed them for turning your back. It's your job to protect and love them, despite who THEY are.

I was blessed enough to be born to accepting parents. They've had this conversation with my brother and I at a young age, that no matter if we were to become gay or transgender, they would love and support us no matter what.

My heart goes out to the children, teenagers and even adults who struggle to be who they are because their families won't accept something different.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you, if our children are born a certain way we shouldn't try to change them. We should be accepting of how they choose to be. Also people should stop being so strongly opinionated because some of their comments can really hurt.

    ReplyDelete